Lime Commits To 100% Zero-Emissions Operations Fleet Vehicles
The world is facing the biggest challenge of our time with climate change.
25% of the world’s carbon is emitted by the transportation sector and it is the fastest-growing contributor to climate change. In addition, the United Nations estimates that 68% of the world’s population will live in cities by 2050, further contributing to the climate crisis with increased congestion and pollution.
We believe clean, electric transportation is the future. Backed by a cleaner electric grid, it offers a major solution in cutting millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions each year. Lime was founded three years ago to give our riders a greener, faster way to get around their communities. That led us to be the first micromobility provider in the world to commit to charging all of our products on renewable energy. Today, our e-scooters and e-bikes are powered by everything from a newly-built solar farm in Iowa to wind and small-hydro in rural France. We are constantly looking for ways to optimize operations to reduce our impact, but we know we can and must do more.
That’s why today Lime is committing to 100% zero-emissions operations fleet vehicles by 2030.
That means we will transition all of our owned and leased operations vehicles, most often small vans, to be electric and powered by renewable energy over the next decade. And we expect to complete the full transition well ahead of the 2030 EV100 target. The transition has already begun and will happen much faster than 2030 in some markets, including Paris, where Lime will be all-electric before the end of Spring. We aim to redefine business as usual for micromobility companies.
"Lime is a company founded on clean electrified micromobility solutions and committing to 100% electric vehicles in our operations is the next step on our journey in fighting climate change,” said Joe Kraus, President at Lime. “We’re focused on new solutions that drive a zero-carbon future and are acting today for a greener tomorrow."
As part of our commitment to this goal, Lime will become the first global micromoblity provider to join The Climate Group’s EV100. Harnessing the collective purchasing power of its members, EV100’s 67 forward-thinking businesses from around the world work to build demand for electric vehicles and send a clear signal to the market. It is crucial that we help lead the shift to electric transportation as the new normal.
“We congratulate Lime on joining EV100,” said Helen Clarkson, CEO of The Climate Group. “This is a great example of a company addressing the global climate and air pollution crisis by switching their operation vehicles to 100% electric by 2030. They are leading the way in the transition to sustainable transport and we need major companies all over the US to follow suit.”
Lime’s commitment through the EV100 includes annual reporting requirements. The Climate Group requires members to submit an electrification roadmap within a year of joining, with regular updates and accountability required for meeting the target of full electrification by 2030 or sooner.
Lime: 100% Zero Emissions Operations Vehicle Fleet By 2030
- · Fully Electric Operations Vehicle Fleet: Lime is committed to a fully electric fleet of owned and leased operations vehicles by 2030 and making the transition faster than the 10-year target, beginning now in certain markets;
- · Infrastructure Capacity: New warehouses will be selected for future charging infrastructure and capacity: Lime is conducting an infrastructure review and is now strategically choosing warehouse leases to accommodate the capacity necessary for our electrification transition;
- · Policy and Advocacy: Lime joined as a founding member of the Ceres Corporate Electric Vehicle Alliance to advocate for supportive policies, infrastructure, and expanded supply to hasten the expansion of electric fleets across corporate use
- · Zero Emission Alternatives: Lime has introduced zero emissions trikes-- bicycles outfitted to support operations, move scooters, and carry tools - into its local fleet management strategy;
- · 100% Renewables: Today, Lime scooters are charged with 100% renewable energy including wind, solar, and hydro power from around the world. We are expanding this commitment to include the renewable energy required for charging our increasingly electric internal operations fleet as well.
- · Neutralizing Existing Fleet Emissions: Beginning in fall 2018, Lime has neutralized all emissions associated with their fleet of operations vehicles with verified carbon offset projects. Lime will continue making these investments as it transitions to an all-electric fleet and seeks to move the market, policies, and infrastructure toward electrification.
“We believe the future of mobility is electric. Thousands of riders depend on us each day for their electric transportation. We want to extend that commitment to electric to our own transportation as well,” said Andrew Savage, Lime’s Head of Sustainability. “As our business matures, we’re looking hard at every possible way we can continue to make improvements to our operations toward the zero-carbon future our program’s help achieve.”
There is an incredible opportunity to accelerate rapid change and we know we can’t do it alone. Our competitors and the industry must come together to solve these issues because business is the most powerful instrument for change. It’s what our riders demand by choosing Lime as a transportation solution in their day to day and we are committed to riding with them on the journey.
To learn more about micromobility milestones and industry analyses, subscribe to 2nd Street, or download the Lime app to take an electric scooter ride.