Research Finds Most E-Scooter Riders Are Local Commuters, Not Tourists
Policy | September 24, 2019 | Share
One of the largest global surveys of shared scooter and bike riders ever conducted is yielding some revealing insights into the rapidly growing world of micromobility.
Pulling from over 18,000 rider responses and 36,000 reference trips across Europe, the Middle East, Oceania and the Americas, Lime has spent the past month analyzing survey data to help get a clearer picture of who is using micromobility, and why.
SCOOTER RIDERS ARE LOCALS
The vast majority of Lime riders are locals, not tourists. On average, 82% of survey respondents stated that they live, work, or go to school where they ride Lime, while the remaining 18% of respondents reported riding Lime in cities they were visiting.
These numbers are borne out when examining trip purpose. More than 50% of riders reported using Lime to either commute to/from work or school (37%) or run personal errands (14%) during their last rental.
An additional 9% of riders worldwide reported using Lime for first/last-mile trips to and from public transit.
“It’s encouraging to see micromobility being rapidly incorporated into urban living in cities all around the world,” said Lime Policy Research Manager Calvin Thigpen. “The survey results show how our riders are using Lime for their local, everyday trips, from commuting and socializing to shopping and accessing public transit.”
SCOOTERS ARE FUN, EFFICIENT AND REPLACING CARS
When it comes to why riders choose electric scooters over other modes of transportation, the results are split between efficiency and enjoyment. 28% of respondents said they chose Lime because it was the fastest option, while another 28% cited fun as the primary motivating factor. Other key determinants included convenience (20%) and affordability (6%).
Perhaps most importantly, Lime electric scooters are also making a significant dent in riders’ dependence on cars and other motor vehicles. According to survey respondents, approximately one in four of their most recent Lime trips have replaced vehicle rides, including taxis/ride hailing services (13.5%), personal cars (9.3%), carshares (1.1%) and mopeds (0.5%).
“What we’re seeing is a gradual transformation in the way people see and experience urban transportation,” said Calvin Thigpen. “Instead of losing hours stuck in traffic, riders are regaining the gift of time and experiencing the joy and convenience that comes with navigating city streets on two wheels.”
The global survey results come on the heels of similar reports released this summer in cities like Chicago, Minneapolis and Warsaw, where micromobility has been tied to increases in mobility access and reductions in car use.
Get these stories delivered straight to your inbox