3 Simple Scooter Safety Tips For Safe Fall Riding
Autumn is here, and with it comes a unique set of weather conditions that all scooter and bike riders should be prepared for.
To help share best practices with the micromobility community, Lime’s Trust and Safety team has prepared a list of some of the top safety precautions that should be taken when riding this fall.
USE CAUTION ON WET, SLIPPERY SURFACES
Rain, snow and wet leaves can reduce traction and render streets and bike paths slippery, particularly for two-wheeled vehicles. When riding in wet conditions or inclement weather, consider the following:
- Slow down and use caution while riding
- As best as possible, avoid swerving and allow extra time for braking
- Be mindful of puddles, ice and wet metal surfaces
*Did you know? Local Lime operations teams will remove scooters and bikes during periods of severe weather to keep streets and sidewalks clear and reduce the risk of injury to riders.
Daylight hours continue to wane throughout the fall, which means that your ride home from work might be made in the dark. To ensure that you’re visible whenever you ride, consider the following:
- Pack bright, reflective outer layers to wear while riding
- Whenever possible, plan your route to follow well-lit streets and pathways
- Don’t assume cars can see you - anticipate their path and ride with caution
*Did you know? All Lime scooters are equipped with front and rear-facing lights to help you see and be seen at all times.
DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE RIDE AND THE WEATHER
Falling temperatures can feel even colder when traveling on a bike or scooter. To help stay warm and protected when riding, consider the following:
- Wear layered clothing while riding, including brightly visible outer layers whenever possible
- Wear gloves to keep your hands warm and responsive for braking and acceleration
- Wear a helmet, and ensure that any additional headwear (winter hat) does not interfere with its proper fit
*Did you know? Lime has partnered with Bern to offer significant discounts on helmets to micromobility riders throughout the US.
To receive more seasonal safety tips, subscribe to 2nd Street, or download the Lime app to take a scooter or bike ride in more than 130 cities today.
Cover Photo: Darson Photographie.