National Bike to Work Day is coming up fast: this Friday, May 18th to be exact.
To get you both excited and prepared to participate, Lime is offering some safe cycling advice as well as a contest that could win you a GoPro Hero 6, a month of free Lime credits and the opportunity to be featured on the Lime blog!
THE #LIMETOWORK CONTEST
To participate in our Bike to Work Day challenge, simply post and tag a compelling photo of your ride to work between Tuesday, 5/15 and Sunday, 5/20. Check out the full details below:
- Follow @LimeBike on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Choose at least one day where you commute to work but don't drive
- Post a photo of yourself in front of your workplace and tell us the story of your car-free ride to work along with the hashtag #LimetoWork (P.S. You DON'T need to ride Lime to enter, although of course it's encouraged!)
- That's it! You'll automatically be entered to win!
**Bonus points if you tag your employer to let them know you’re a proponent of green commuting ;)
We’ll be looking for the most fun, original and/or inspiring posts, so don’t be afraid to get creative! Snap one with coworkers. Pose with your bike in the office. Tell us why you’re participating in the description!
Whatever you do, be sure to capture your bike in the photo (we’ll accept any bike, even if it’s not one of ours, as well as Lime-S electric scooters) and don’t forget to tag it with #LimetoWork!
The winner will be chosen by the Lime team early next week!
BIKE TO WORK GUIDE
Thinking of participating in this year’s Bike to Work Day? Excellent! Take a few seconds to review Lime’s 3-step guide to ensure your commute is every bit as safe as it is healthy.
1.) Plan Your Route
If you’re new to commuting, it’s always a good idea to know your route in advance. Inexperienced cyclists in particular may benefit from adding a few minutes to the ride in order to stay on streets and paths that are bike-friendly.
While there are a handful of quality sites to choose from when planning your route, the most comprehensive by far is, unsurprisingly, Google Maps. Simply select “Bicycling” from the menu dropdown to see an updated list of available bike trails, bike lanes and bike-friendly streets throughout your city. It doesn’t get much more straightforward than that.
2.) Check Your Ride
Whether you’re hopping on your own saddle or one of ours, always take a minute to give your bike a pre-ride safety check.
- Squeeze your tires to make sure there’s adequate air pressure (all LimeBikes and Lime-E electric assist bikes come equipped with airless foam-core tires)
- Pump the brakes to ensure they’re functioning properly
- Lift your rear tire and rotate crank arm to ensure the chain is attached and the wheel spins freely
- Verify that front and rear lights, reflectors and cell phone mounts are tightly secured to the bike frame
3.) Dress Appropriately
Last but not least, make sure your body stays visible and protected while on the road. Start with a Snell, CPSC, ANSI or ASTM approved helmet that has been properly sized, fitted and fastened.
Reflective work attire might not quite be in fashion at your particular workplace, but there are plenty of highly-visible alternatives to neon spandex shorts that you can use on your two wheeled commute:
* * *
For more information about Bike to Work safety or our #limetowork contest, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.